A quick and delicious vegan Spanish rice that’ll spark up your rice game. This dish is made with tomato sauce and garlic salt, making it a perfect side dish or base for any burrito, bowl, or taco night!
Gluten-free too, this vegan Spanish rice recipe can be made in under 30 minutes so when the “what’s for dinner?” question rolls around, you have it handled.
Vegetarian Spanish Rice
Something I love about this vegan Spanish rice is the clean recipe. It’s simple, and unlike many restaurants, there’s no lard or extra fats soaking in, making it almost soggy after awhile. This rice is fresh and can be savored for a long time (refrigerated, of course).
Why You’ll Love This
- No excess fats or seasonings means this recipe is light and healthy. Olive oil is a natural fat only used to warm up the pan.
- With a cook time of 25 minutes, you can have dinner ready in half an hour!
- The whole recipe needs just 5 ingredients!
- Not only is this a vegan Spanish rice, but it’s gluten-free and sugar-free too.
- olive oil – canola or avocado oil also works.
- white long-grain rice – you can use your favorite rice, we just use long-grain.
- tomato sauce
- basics – salt, pepper, garlic salt
Add a can of rinsed black beans, sauteed veggies, and salsa to taste to make this an easy vegan one dish meal.
Skillet – we use a cast-iron, but you’re welcome to use your preferred pan such as a nonstick if you want to cut back on oil.
Since the recipe is already gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, sugar-free, you name it…another option for making it more diet-friendly is the type of rice used.
Whole30 and Keto– use cauliflower rice instead at Whole Lotta Yum
Step by Step Instructions
I’ll be honest, regular rice can be a little boring. That’s when I thought, how about a flavorful, quick vegan Spanish rice since that’ll go perfect with healthy living, an addition to basically any meal or by itself, and it’s homemade.
It’s perfect for the family PLUS you can meal prep this recipe every Sunday if you want. I won’t judge.
In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil to the pan.
Then sauté the rice in the skillet until it starts getting toasty brown.
After it’s browned, remove the excess oil from the rice.
Add 2 cups of water and the tomato sauce. Combine them until well mixed.
From there, stir in the cumin and garlic salt to taste. Feel free to add more or less according to your desired outcome.
Cover the skillet and let the rice simmer until it’s cooked through and fluffy. This should take about 15 minutes.
Completely remove from heat and serve.
- Mix in one to two cans of seasoned pre-cooked beans to make a vegan Spanish rice and beans dinner.
- To keep the Spanish rice vegan recipe sugar-free, be sure to read labels and buy a tomato sauce brand that doesn’t add sugar.
- Swap the tomato sauce for salsa if that’s what you have on hand. Feel free to even try chili Verde salsa instead of red.
Rice can pair with many dishes. Try vegetarian enchiladas, corn on the cob, or a taco salad where you can swap out meat for tofu or beans.
Yes! You can freeze this rice in a freezer up to 3 months. Store in a freezer-safe container, in freezer bags, or vacuum seal.
Yes, but use a larger pot like a Dutch oven because of the added liquids during cooking.
More Vegan Recipes
And be sure to pin to Pinterest to save it for later!
Vegan Spanish Rice
An easy vegan Spanish rice recipe that cooks quickly and uses a savory tomato sauce to add fantastic flavor. Get that restaurant-quality rice in just 30 minutes.
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups white long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil to the pan.
- Saute the rice in the skillet until it starts getting toasty brown.
- Remove the excess oil from the rice.
- Add 2 cups of water and the tomato sauce and combine.
- Stir in the cumin and garlic salt to taste, feel free to add more than the recipe states if preferred.
- Cover the skillet and simmer the rice until it's cooked through and fluffy, which will take about 15 minutes.
Mix in one to two cans of seasoned pre-cooked beans to make a vegan Spanish rice and beans dinner.
Swap the tomato sauce for salsa if that's what you have on hand, feel free to even try chili verde salsa instead of red.
While we used a cast iron skillet, you can cut back on the oil and use a non-stick pan instead.
Olive oil, avocado, or canola oil are all great options
To keep the Spanish rice vegan recipe sugar free, be sure to read labels and buy a tomato sauce brand that doesn't add sugar.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 207Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 0mgSodium 543mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 2g
Leave a Reply