This recipe for vegan butternut squash soup is the best way to make use of the butternut squash in your garden while enjoying a warm, healthy meal during the chilly months! Using coconut milk and curry, you’ll have dinner ready in under an hour!
Vegan Squash Soup
We all know how comforting soup can be. When you’re sick, craving a healthy meal, or want to escape the outside cold, soup is there for you!
A vegan butternut squash soup recipe like this one uses the ease and cleanliness of a blender and contains the richness of coconut milk and curry. You can have seconds and still refrigerate some for the week ahead! Plus you’re catering to the health of you and your family and what’s more important than that?
Why You’ll Love This
- The savory flavor of butternut squash mixed with the warmth of curry spices makes this perfect for Fall and all its guests it brings to your house.
- With a prep and cook time of 50 minutes (or less), you can easily bring the family in to help.
- You only have to wash 2 dishes! The pot and the blender.
- This vegan butternut squash soup recipe is also vegetarian, gluten-free, paleo, dairy-free, and Whole30.
8 wonderful ingredients make up the heart and soul of this Fall soup. See below!
- butternut squash– you’ll need to peel, seed, and cut them into 1″ cubes
- garlic cloves– minced
- curry powder
- coconut milk – use can substitute other types of plant based milk like oat or almond
- vegetable broth
- lime juice
- sea salt
- black ground pepper
Instead of curry, Basically uses ginger and red pepper flakes.
Add apple, pumpkin, carrots or other types of squash together for a definite Fall feel.
Step by Step Instructions
Vegan butternut squash soup recipes usually require a bit of patience. Luckily, this recipe is easy and rewarding. You’ll be chopping and boiling the squash, stirring in the ingredients, and then blending to puree!
Start with the squash, peeling it, removing the seeds, and cutting into 1″ cubes. You can also mince the garlic ahead of time if you wish.
Gather all ingredients.
Place the butternut squash and the vegetable broth in a 4-5 quart pot. Over medium-high heat bring the pot to a boil.
Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium and cook until the squash is tender. It’ll take about 15 minutes for the squash to get tender, and you can test it with a fork to see if it can easily be pierced.
Stir in the coconut milk, curry powder, sea salt, and ground black pepper.
From there, using a handheld immersion blender or regular blender, puree the soup until it’s a smooth consistency.
Stir in the lime juice and add more seasoning or garnishes to taste.
Enjoy your vegan butternut squash soup recipe!
- This vegan butternut squash soup recipe can utilize a large 3 lb butternut squash or two small squash.
- Make sure the butternut squash is tender before putting in the blender to get a truly pureed texture.
- The butternut squash should be as uniform as possible for even cooking.
- Try pine nuts or a drizzle of coconut milk as a garnish!
With soup as the entree, you can add an herbed flatbread or sourdough on the side. A dish of kale or chickpea salad does the trick as well!
The vegetarian butternut squash soup lasts for up to 5 days in the fridge. To freeze it, put it in freezer safe containers for up to 3 months.
If you’re both vegan AND keto you might be wondering if you can even have squash soup. Unfortunately, butternut squash soup is higher in carbs than squash such as spaghetti squash, and isn’t the best for a keto diet. With 15 net carbs per serving, the squash soup would be considered low carb.
More Vegan Recipes
Be sure to pin to Pinterest so you can find it again later!
V V V
- 3 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1" cubes
- 3 tsp garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 cups vegatable broth
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black ground pepper
- Peel the squash, remove the seed, and cut squash into 1" cubes.
- Put the butternut squash in a 4-5 qt pot with the vegetable broth. Over medium-high heat bring the pot to a boil, turn it down to medium heat and cook it until the squash is tender. It'll take about 15 minutes for the squash to get tender, you can test it with a fork to see if it can easily be pierced.
- Stir in the coconut milk, curry powder, sea salt, and ground black pepper.
- With a handheld immersion blender or regular blender, puree the soup until it's a smooth consistency.
- Stir in the lime juice and add more seasoning or garnishes to taste. Enjoy!
You can use either a large butternut squash that weighs 3 lbs, a large one cut in half, or even two small squash.
Add 2 tsp of a sweetener of choice if you want the soup to have a sweet touch. This could be honey, coconut sugar, brown sugar, or monk fruit.
Garnish the vegan squash soup with a drizzle of coconut milk, cilantro, and pepitas or pine nuts.
In place of coconut milk, you can use oat milk or almond milk instead.
Variations to try with the soup would be to add in apple chunks when you add the squash for a sweeter taste or mix in vegetables like carrots or pumpkin.
If you aren't a curry fan you can leave it out and then add additional seasoning to taste if it's needed.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 176Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 2mgSodium 506mgCarbohydrates 21gNet Carbohydrates 15gFiber 6gSugar 4gProtein 3g